in Legal Success
| Reading Time: 2 Minutes
How to Get Maltese Citizenship?
The Maltese Government has enacted a law which grants foreign investors the possibility to apply for Maltese citizenship through investment. The “Maltese Citizenship by Investment” option allows for the granting of Maltese citizenship following a period of legal residency. Through this possibility, families who acquire Maltese citizenship enjoy being citizens of a stable and safe country in the European Union and visa-free travel to over 184 countries.
Malta is a Mediterranean country with significant history. It is a member of the European Union & the Commonwealth and holds the status of a neutral country.
Is it Possible to Become a Maltese Citizen by Investment?
It is possible to apply for Maltese citizenship by investment through Legal Notice 437 of 2020 entitled: Granting of Citizenship for Exceptional Services Regulations. This law lays down the main requirements to become a citizen of Malta.
This law allows for the acquisition of Maltese citizenship for exceptional services to families who make a direct investment in the Republic of Malta. The process takes three years, or by exception, one year if the investor makes a higher investment. This process includes a four-tier due diligence process and strict verification checks on the applicant’s background and source of funds and wealth. Therefore, Malta ensures that only the most suitable applicants are approved under this legislation.
What Are The Requirements to Become a Citizen of Malta?
In order to qualify for Maltese citizenship, the main applicant must be of 18 years, be in good health and have no criminal record. In addition, any applicant who has been denied a visa to a country with which Malta has visa-free travel arrangements, and has not subsequently obtained a visa to the country which issued the denial, cannot submit a citizenship application in Malta.
The main applicant and all adult dependents must then apply for residency status in Malta and submit their application after one year or three years. In addition, they must show genuine connecting factors with the island.
There are then three main requirements which the applicant must do:
- Make a direct non-refundable investment of 600,000 Euro if the application is submitted after three years or 750,000 Euro if the application is submitted after one year. An additional investment of 50,000 Euro is to be made for each family member to be included in the application.
- Donate 10,000 Euro to a registered charity organisation in Malta and,
- Purchase a residential property in Malta for at least 700,000 Euro or rent a property for 16,000 Euro annually.
Note: The property investment should be kept for at least five years. A residential property is also required during the residency period.
What Are The Advantages of Being a Citizen of Malta?
The advantages of applying for Maltese citizenship are the following:
- The possibility to include in the same application: Spouse/Partner, Children up to the age of 28 and parents/grandparents over the age of 55.
- Exclusive opportunity: This option is limited to 1,500 applicants (capped at 400 annually).
- Citizenship for life which may be passed on to future generations automatically.
- Right to travel without a visa to over 184 countries.
- Citizenship in a respected European Union country.
- Access to a reputable financial centre ideal for international business.
- English-speaking country and workforce.
- Right to live and own property in a safe European country.
Would you like to also invest in Turkey? Click the link.
The Turkish Competition Board Penalties Google 93 million Turkish Liras For Dominance Abuse The Competition Board of Turkey has ruled that actions of the economic unit composed by Google LLC, Googl..